Tell your Members of Congress to Oppose H.R. 1
This tax bill is fundamentally flawed beyond repair – in three big ways:
- It is regressive, giving permanent tax cuts to large corporations and the wealthiest households and only modest, temporary tax cuts to everyone else - and ultimately passing on the cost to them. The plan could immediately undermine tax breaks for state and local taxes, medical expenses, interest payments on student loans, and more. See our fact sheet for more information.
- It is irresponsible, growing deficits by at least $1.5 trillion over the next decade. This will enable Congress to make massive cuts to essential programs, such as Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), housing assistance, college financial aid, and more.
- It threatens health coverage for millions. By repealing the individual mandate to have health insurance, Congressional leaders get hundreds of billions in savings to pay for corporate tax cuts. But as a result, 13 million people will become uninsured and millions of people will see significant premium increases of at least 10%.
What You Can Do Now
We've created a fact sheet to help you get up to speed on the details of this plan and how you could be impacted. Click here for a full view.
Click here to find your Senators and Representatives and call their offices today.
Sample Calling Script:
Hi, my name is _______ and I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative ___________. I'm calling to express my opposition to the tax reform plan going through conference committee, H.R. 1. [Short personal anecdote about how your taxes would be negatively impacted, if applicable]. This plan would explode the deficit to pay for tax cuts that do not help most Americans. This is unacceptable. Will Senator/Representative ___________ oppose this legislation?
Use Social Media:
Let your members of Congress and your social networks know what you think of this bill. Here are some sample tweets:
- The #GOPTaxPlan goes against values of fairness, fiscal discipline, and our moral responsibility to care for the vulnerable #Faith4TaxJustice
- The #GOPTaxPlan would add $1.5+ trillion to the deficit, threatening funding for healthcare, food and nutrition, housing, education, and much more. #Faith4TaxJustice
- The #GOPTaxPlan would tax families who pay state income taxes twice. #Faith4TaxJustice
Attend A Grassroots Event:
Communities around the country are mobilizing to let their members of Congress hear their opposition to H.R.1. Find an event near you here.
Let us know how your calls went and feel free to ask us any questions by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Afif, Nadia, Ayesha, and Wardah