September 2020 Newsletter
August 2020 Newsletter
July 2020 Newsletter
June 2020 Newsletter
May 2020 Newsletter
April 2020 Newsletter
March 2020 Newsletter
advocacy on the hill
Poligon visited Capitol Hill with other advocates to meet with Members of the House Representatives who have not yet signed on to support the NO BAN Act, which will repeal the Muslim Ban. The House announced the bill will be voted on the week of March 9th. Help Poligon continue to keep up the pressure in Congress by making a zakat eligible and tax-deductible donation today. Your contribution will help keep our momentum going to repeal the ban.
House Judiciary Subcommittee Hearing About Citizens United
The Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties held a public hearing for The Democracy for All Amendment, H.J. Res. 2. This proposed constitutional amendment would overturn Supreme Court cases like Citizens United v. FEC and get big money out of politics. Poligon and other advocates packed the room to show support for overturning the ruling. Watch the full hearing here.
NO BAN Act Passed House Judiciary Committee Markup
- February 7, 2020: Senate Impeachment Trial Ends, House Passed Bill to Strengthen Work Unions, Committee Hearing on SNAP Cuts, House to Vote on DC Statehood, House Resolution to Disapprove Medicaid Block Grant
- February 14, 2020: NO BAN Act Voted Out of Committee, House Passed Bill to Create Women’s History Museum, House Voted to Remove ERA Ratification Deadline, House Committee Advanced a Bill to Ban Surprise Billing, House Passed Bill Providing Wilderness Protection
- February 28, 2020: House to Vote on NO BAN Act, House Member Introduced Bill for Affordable Housing, House Passed Bill to Make Lynching a Federal Crime, House Members Introduced Environmental Justice Bill, Rep. Cummings Room Dedication Ceremony
In the news
Interfaith Vigil: Restoring a Faithful Democracy
Poligon joined the “Faithful Democracy” coalition at a vigil on Capitol Hill lamenting 10 years of the Citizens United ruling. The coalition sheds light on issues of money in politics and good governance. Speakers included Senator Ed Markey (D-MA), Sister Simone Cambell, Rabbi Jonah Pesner, Rev. Jimmie Hawkins, Rev. Dr. Leslie Copeland-Tune, and Rev. Jennifer Butler. Click here to watch the event.
Poligon Education Fund’s First Hill Halal Happy Hour
- Poligon condemned President Trump's decision to expand the Muslim Ban. The newly expanded list includes Myanmar (also known as Burma), Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Nigeria, Sudan, and Tanzania. We must take action now and pass the NO BAN Act. Here are some ways to get involved.
- Poligon sent out a potentially first of its kind survey we created with other Muslim civic engagement organization to help understand and advocate the issues that are impacting our communities to Presidential candidates. Don’t miss your chance to contribute! Click here to take the survey.
- Poligon condemned President Trump's anti-Muslim retweet, which depicted an Islamophobic post that portrayed leaders of the Democratic Party in traditional Islamic garb. The White House defended the President’s action by stating the image depicts that Democrats are on the side of terrorists.
IN THE NEWS
Poligon President, Wardah Khalid, was interviewed by Al Jazeera Stream, on the third anniversary of the discriminatory Muslim travel ban and her hope for its repeal as Congress moves forward with the NO BAN Act. Watch the full interview here. (Wardah begins speaking @ 7:13)