Congressional Advocacy 101 Training: A Critical Need For Healthcare
On June 3rd we held a Congressional Advocacy Training in partnership with American Muslim Health Professionals and Emgage Action. The training covered the basic functions of Congress and how to use advocacy to enact change in healthcare and policy issues that matter to our community.
Poligon and ISF Webinar: Working on the Hill
On June 11th we conducted a "Working on The Hill" webinar in partnership with the Islamic Scholarship Fund. Poligon President Wardah Khalid discussed networking, resume building, and the ins-and-outs of working on the Hill. If you missed the live webinar, you can watch the recording here: https://bit.ly/2NybA4v
American Pakistan Foundation Grant
Poligon is proud to announce that we were selected as a grant recipient for the American Pakistan Foundation Pandemic Relief Fund! The Fund supports non-profits that are working to serve U.S. based communities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Check out the APF Mid-Year Update which mentions Poligon and the grant. We are humbled to be chosen for this grant, and we will continue to work hard to amplify voices of American Muslims!
Poligon Is Hiring!
Poligon is looking for a Policy and Advocacy Manager based in the DC area (but starting remote during COVID-19). This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about civic engagement and getting Muslims and allies plugged into the policy making process. Visit our website for the full job posting!
- June 1, 2020: With recent incidents of police brutality against George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, Poligon supports H.R.4408, the Eric Garner Excessive Use of Force Prevention Act, to prohibit police chokeholds and other harmful tactics that result in asphyxiation.
- June 22, 2020: Poligon urges the Senate to ensure that the provisions in the HEROES Act are included in the next COVID-19 relief package.
- June 24, 2020: Poligon urges Congress to pass the Justice in Policing Act. The bill bans chokeholds and “no-knock” warrants, ends racial and religious profiling, eliminates “qualified immunity” for police officers, collects data on police misconduct and use-of-force, limits transfer of military equipment to law enforcement departments, requires body-worn cameras, and classifies lynching as a hate crime.
- June 26, 2020: On the 2nd anniversary of the Supreme Court case which upheld Muslim Ban 3.0., Poligon urged Congress to pass The No Ban Act. This legislation would lift prohibit religious discrimination when issuing visas. Read our full statement here.
We've been keeping you up-to-date on the latest from Capitol Hill with our Hill Happenings going straight to your inboxes every Friday.
- June 5, 2020: Senate Resolution to Abolish Qualified Immunity for Law Enforcement, Framework for Police Reform Legislation, House Judiciary to Hold Police Brutality Hearing, Bill to Create Commission Addressing Legacy of Slavery, Lawmakers to End Police Access to Military-Style Gear, Senators Renew Call for Passage of Walter Scott Notification Act
- June 12, 2020: House Introduced the Justice in Policing Act, House Speaker Called for Removal of Confederate Statues from the Capitol, Resolution Introduced Condemning Acts of Violence Against the Press, Bill Introduced to Demilitarize Police, House Democrats Demand Federal Agencies Cease Surveillance of Protests, Senate GOP Delayed Fifth Round of Coronavirus
- June 19, 2020: House Committee Advances Police Reform Bill, Senate GOP Introduced Police Reform Bill, House Amendments for Stronger Provisions in Police Reform Bill, Rep. Pocan Announced RALLIES Act, Bill Introduced to Expand Diversity in Military, Support HBCUS's, House to Vote on DC Statehood
- June 26, 2020: House Passes Police Reform Bill, Senate Democrats Blocked GOP Police Reform Bill, Website Created to Engage Americans on Policing Reform Legislation, Bill to Fund Green Infrastructure Plan, Coronavirus Task Force Members Testified on Federal Response to Pandemic, House Hearing on Child Care Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
Thank you for your support as we continue to help amplify the American Muslim voices in Congress.
Aksa, and The Poligon Team